Thursday, June 12, 2014

It's All About Zone 2 Baby! (Part 2)

In my last post, I went over why I started training using heart rate zones based on maximum heart rate. I wanted to build a good solid “base” so I could continue to improve throughout the year and long term. I also wanted to be very efficient at burning fat. In 2013, for both the bike and run, I trained almost exclusively in Zone 2. I was in the process of becoming fat adapted so I did very little speed work. However, looking back, I should have done some interval or speed work.

So what the heck is training zones anyway?
A training zone is a level, or zone, of training intensities. Although I previously referred to Zone 2 training as heart rate training, you can also setup zones based on Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE), running pace, bike speed, or bike power. Additionally, heart rate training zones can be based on maximum heart rate (Max HR) or lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR). I used maximum heart rate in 2013. I now use LTHR but more about that a little later. It is common to see five training zones. Some systems break them down even further but I will stick to the basic five zones I used in my training. The chart below shows the range of percent of Max HR by zone where your Max HR is 220 minus your age (220 – age).



Training Zones for Percent of Maximum Heart Rate

Training in Zone 3 is considered wasted training time! You get no benefits since you do not build endurance as in Zone 2 nor do you gain speed as in Zone 4 and 5. Although it is considered wasted training time, doing the occasional tempo run or bike ride may be beneficial since racing a half marathon or half Ironman is typically done in Zone 3. The key is to spend very little training time in Zone 3. Training should be primarily in Zone 2 with some Zone 4 and 5 interval or speed work. How much training time should be done in Zone 2? Well, last year, I probably did 90 to 95% of my training in Zone 2. I have read that if you do not have a good base, you should spend 80% or more of your time in Zone 2. Once a strong base is built, spending 60% or more of training time in Zone 2 is recommended.

At first, training in Zone 2 was frustrating - especially for the run! You have to walk at times in order to keep your heart rate low. Most of us have become so accustomed to running at a specific pace so seeing slower paces on your run watch can be painful. My training plan was based on time and heart rate zone so I ended up removing all of the other data on the screens of my run watch and my bike computer. I would only see the distance and the pace/speed I accomplished during the training session after I uploaded the data to my home computer. After a couple of months of Zone 2 training, I started to get faster and faster at the lower heart rates. The training was working and working well! I kept getting faster throughout the year!

Ok, so what heart rate range did I use in training? Well, I used two different ranges – one for the bike and one for the run. Your running heart rate is typically higher than when cycling. So for running, I did the following:

For this 47 year old guy, my Max HR is calculated as 220 minus 47 and equates to 173 beats per minute (bpm). Then I applied the percentages listed in the table above. The bottom of Zone 2 for me is 0.75 times my Max HR. So 0.75 times 173 equals 129.75. I rounded up and used 130 bpm. For the top of Zone 2, I used 0.85 times 173. It equates to 147.05 so I used 147 bpm. When I ran, I had to work hard to stay in the range between 130 to 147 bpm. I generally ran at the higher end of the zone (140 to 147) since I felt more comfortable in that range. For the first two months in the year, I actually used the Maffetone method that I will explain shortly.

Now for cycling!

A couple of years back, I read somewhere that a rough estimate to get your bike heart rate zones was to simply subtract 7 to 9 bpm from your running heart rate zones. I subtracted 7 beats to make the top of Zone 2 easier to remember. Therefore, my cycling Zone 2 range was 123 to 140 bpm. Again, I had to work hard to keep my heart rate below 140 bpm.

I used the above heart rate ranges for the majority of my 2013 Ironman training. However, for the first two months in the year, I ran and cycled where the top of my Z2 was based on the Maffetone Method. This method uses 180 minus your age then you either add or subtract a few beats depending on your level of fitness. If you consistently exercise a few days a week, you add 5 beats. If you have not exercised in a long time, you subtract five. If you fall in between, simply use 180 minus your age. Therefore, I ran and cycled for two months holding my heart rate at or below 138 bpm (180 minus 47 plus 5). Trust me, running at 138 bpm made me wish I had hair so I could pull it out!

No training system or plan is perfect. Your fitness level may currently be better such that the above heart rate equations are too low. I recommend the above methods for those starting out with heart rate training because going slower in the beginning helps build a stronger base and you will see your overall fitness level improve. You could possibly be slightly undertrained rather than being over-trained. This is a good thing since over-training could lead to a higher chance of injury.

Once your fitness level improves, you should perform a lactate threshold (LT) test on the bike and run to bump your heart rate zones up. The LT test provides your lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR). My coach had me do a LT test for the bike and run. I used a local 5K race as my run LT test. For the bike, my friend Ernest and I did a 30 minute all out time trial at the Lakefront here in New Orleans. I train with power during some of my bike training sessions so the bike LT test provided my LTHR and my functional threshold power (FTP). My coach did the math and my zones moved up where my run heart rate increased the most. I could now run at 152 bpm versus 147 bpm. I could now bike at 142 bpm as compared to 140 bpm. My FTP was 257 watts so power training zone were developed.

It is recommended to perform a LT test every few weeks (6 weeks is probably good) to see if your fitness level has improved. In 2013, I may have been slightly undertrained! However, I still improved all year long. Late in last year’s Ironman training, I started noticing that I could run with my heart rate in the low 150's and still felt great. So when my coach told me I could now run at 152, I was not surprised.

I find training in Zone 2 to be very enjoyable. I became more efficient at burning fat as a fuel during training. I noticed I was taking in less and less nutrition during long runs and rides. When staying exclusively in Zone 2 during a training session, I generally feel as if I did not run or cycle for the time or distance I completed. A 2 to 3 hour bike ride, many times, felt as if I had not done a thing that morning!

I recently read a good article about Zone 2 training. It discussed some of the benefits of training in Zone 2.  
By training Zone 2 we will not only improve fat utilization and preserve glycogen but we will also increase lactate clearance capacity which is key for athletic performance.

It’s all about Zone 2 Baby!



No comments:

Post a Comment